Author Interview with Jess C Scott

CyberPunk.  I know what your thinking ... who, what, where, why? Well, ici avec moi aujourd'hui, c'est le très chic Jess C Scott to tell us more about the genre and her latest release The Other Side of Life.


Tell us all about you in one sentence.
I'm an author/artist/non-conformist :)

What's your Chinese Zodiac (example, I'm a water dragon)?
I'm a fire tiger (rawr!). That makes me expressive, vibrant, and a bit eccentric...

Websites, some people think they’re essential to a writer, others a supplement to a blog. What are your thoughts?
I'm in the group that thinks a website is essential to a writer (and/or anyone who wants an "online presence"). I use my blog to share my personal thoughts and perspectives, as and when (for readers/customers to have a glimpse of my personal life). That being said, some people are great at blogging, so just do whatever you love. In the words of the very stylish and wise Tim Gunn: "Make it work!"


What is the biggest mistake you’ve made as an Indie Author, and what piece of advice would you give others so they can avoid it?
Comparing myself to others. Some writers write for the money, and some write because they love to write. I happen to fall somewhere in the middle. I think it's important for an author to think about what they really want to achieve with their writing. Making money is nice, but making money from providing something of meaningful value is better (that's the conclusion I reached, on a personal level).

Cyberpunk ... I admit I've not read this genre before. What do you like about it, and what books would you recommend for a newbie (shameless plugs encouraged)?
No worries -- I have a 'cyberpunk' page for people who aren't familiar with the term or genre (http://elventrilogy.wordpress.com/cyberpunk/).

I like the common themes in the genre (such as the negative impact of technology on humanity, and corporate control over society). I grew up in a very busy, urban city, so the urban setting is something I'll always be familiar with.

The Other Side of Life was released early this year, can you tell us about the book?
Sure -- here's a short synopsis:
Summary: A thieving duo’s world turns upside down when an Elven rogue uncovers the heinous dealings of a megacorporation.
Synopsis: Anya and Leticia are partners-in-crime who steal for a living. Their world turns upside down after a chance encounter with fellow rogue, Ithilnin—the enigmatic leader of an Elven band of thieves.
A scuffle to prove who’s “the better thief” transforms into more than Anya and Ithilnin ever bargained for. They retrieve the missing piece of an ancient poem, before getting caught in the secret dealings of a megacorporation. What they uncover threatens to alter the very essence of not just human life, but the other side as well.
Elven intrigue, cyberpunk action, and a deadly dose of danger come together in The Other Side of Life [Book #1 in the (Cyberpunk) Elven Trilogy].

Reviews I’ve read are exceptionally positive, do you enjoy reading reviews, and interacting with your fans?
I haven't had the time to go through some of the (lengthy) reviews, though I'm appreciative of every single one. I interact with fans mostly through Facebook and/or email (my readers tend to favor private forms of communication; I do as well).

Very cool cover, edgy, can you explain the design behind it?
I did a sketch of Korean pop-star in 2010. His facial bone structure and hairstyle happens to be quite similar to Nin (the Elven protagonist in my book), so I tweaked the sketch a little bit on Photoshop, and spent some time looking for the right fonts for the title. I had a slightly manga-esque element in mind, right from the start (something that combines something old-school, with something contemporary -- to reflect the tone and content of the story!).


You can read an extract of the book by clicking here: The Otherside of Life

Below are the places you can interact with Jess online. I have a copy of The Otherisde of Life and after picking Jess’s brain I’m looking forward to reading it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10.4.11

    Great interview! I don't think I've ever read any Cyperpunk so I'll be sure to give Jess's novel a read :) A-shopping I will go.

    ReplyDelete

Ta!